Are you moving soon? Have you read the prevention measures issued by La Société d'habitation du Québec?
We have this special blog for you and your helpers to stay healthy according to the Quebec government good health practice. If your move is not essential, it would be better to renew your current lease. If you must absolutely move, hire accredited moving company. They will apply the health prevention measures decreed by the government. If you must do the work yourself, ask for as little help as possible from your relatives of friends, or even avoid such assistance entirely.
At all time, follow good health practices
- Avoid touching your face
- Regularly wash your hands for 20 seconds
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow
- Keep a distance of 2 metres from others
Before the move
- Ask the landlord about the recent health status of the previous tenants. If someone who lives or lived in your future home has had symptoms of COVID-19, contact Info-Santé 811 to explore possible solutions.
- Check with the truck rental or moving company to ask whether the moving truck has been disinfected with an alcohol-based solution.
- Ensure that you have a good supply of cleaning products.
- Plan your sequence of actions to ensure that “social distancing” measures are always respected during your move.
- Drop off smaller items in the entryway to limit comings and goings through the rooms.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces (e.g. furniture, appliances, doorknobs) with an alcohol-based solution.
- Pack up as many boxes as possible before moving, and make sure to take health precautions when handling objects
- Agree on when you will take possession of the dwelling with the previous tenant or the landlord to avoid running into the other group on moving day.
During the move
- If you have symptoms of COVID-19 on moving day, delay the move and apply the measures set out by Public Health officials.
- Do not accept help from a person with symptoms of COVID-19.
- Remind everyone at the start of the move about the importance of following the hygiene measures decreed by government authorities, and entrust a person with the role of “hygiene rules captain”.
- Avoid having too many people in one room at the same time.
- Follow the 2-metre physical distancing rule with everyone, whether movers, friends or relatives, inside the dwelling as well as in the building’s hallways and elevators (two people maximum).
- Use straps to move large appliances so as to respect both distancing measures and recognized safety practices.
- Wear gloves and observe the following instructions:
1 - Take off your gloves before entering the vehicle and put them in a bag or a container with a lid.
2 - Wash your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based solution each time you take off your gloves.
3 - If necessary, put your gloves back on once you exit the vehicle.
- Entrust pets to one person who will take care of them outside the dwelling.
- Before leaving your old dwelling for good, clean empty rooms and disinfect doorknobs with an alcohol-based solution for the next occupant.
- Whenever possible, choose the electronic delivery option for your bills to avoid handling paper.
After the move….Getting settle in
- Clean and disinfect the rooms with an alcohol-based solution, paying close attention to frequently touched surfaces, such as furniture, appliances, doorknobs, and so on.
- Wait for a minimum of 24 hours before getting rid of your empty boxes.
- Don’t shake out dirty laundry, and wash all fabrics, such as sheets, towels and clothing, in hot water with your usual laundry detergent.
- Pay special attention to disinfecting the bathroom (walls, sink, toilet, bathtub).